This Erika 10 typewriter came in to the shop after a customer bought it online. He knew when buying it that much work was needed. The case and typewriter were filthy, yuck. When I made up the estimate I noted the paper rollers were flat, sticking keys, and many many disconnected type bars.
When I opened up the machine and vacuumed out all the crap I discovered that a couple of the links and springs were missing! Well darn it. Erika got all fancy with the links being stamped metal with a tit on each end to link things together. Also, each link has a hook halfway on the side for one end of the type bar spring. To keep things simple I decided to make replacements in hobby wire. For the hook I created a loop, flattened it then reshaped it into a hook. I cut the wire to length and then connected each end. Heck it worked!
The paper rollers are of no standard US tubing size, of course. So I turned out six new rollers using the lathe. The paper table was bent so that got a bit of reforming. The carriage return arm was missing its spring so I modified one from the parts bin. On top of all that, the platen is warped! Funny that it actually types pretty good.