This family heirloom came into the shop dragging its owner along. It survived years of storage by the liberal application of spray oil. What?! Did I just say something positive about spraying oil everywhere? Nope, just your imagination, now let’s move on.
It needed EVERYTHING!
Once cleaned, I discovered that dirty old oil hid decades of rust. I had to remove the type bars and segment just to get some key action.
The front comb located under the keys was so bent up that most of the side keys wouldn’t move. Boy did that take forever to straighten up.
The ribbon selector and ribbon lift were both horribly jammed requiring multiple tweaks to get it all aligned.
Then, on top of all the other stuff the carriage knobs both shattered in my hands. You just cannot find Remington 16 knobs, so I sorted through the fragments and slowly epoxied everything back together. After all that I made molds of the knobs so I can make more when needed.
All in all, this beast cleaned up well and types again!